Job Title: Finance Officer
Organization: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Closure Date: 01/Jun/2021, 12:59:00 AM
Organizational Unit: CSF
Job Type: Staff position
Type of Requisition: Professional
Grade Level: P-3
Primary Location: Italy-Rome
Duration: Fixed term: 2 years with possibility of extension
Post Number: 2005061
CCOG Code: 1A01
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Finance Division recommends and administers financial policies and procedures that meet the highest professional standards; keeps accounts that accurately record financial activities and meet the requirements of internal and external audits; prepares reports to accurately portray the financial status of the Organization and its activities; ensures that the Organization’s financial resources are securely kept and productively employed while in FAO’s custody; oversees financial operations wherever performed in the Organization; and ensures that all disbursements are timely and made in accordance with established policies and procedures.
The post is located in the Global Financial Management Unit of the Finance Division
The Finance Officer reports to the Deputy Director, Finance Division
Support global financial management
Financial services and related assistance in accordance with internal policies, UN financial guidelines and International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
• Provides financial reporting, general accounting, project accounting, and/or investment related services in accordance with FAO policies and regulatory framework.
• Collects and analyzes financial information for inclusion in statutory and/or management reports, financial statements, and/or reports to donors as well as specific reports for Governing Bodies, donors and other partners.
• Contributes to updating financial policies and related tools, systems, technologies and related procedures.
• Responds to requests for assistance from managers and staff at HQ and the Decentralized Offices.
• Exchanges and/or provides information to banks, other financial institutions, donors and partners and provides information/clarification to auditors.
• Participates in the development of training and related training materials and promotes best practices and capacity development at HQ and the Decentralized Offices.
• Participates on Finance Division teams, leads working groups, and/or collaborates with other departments on short-term assignments.
• Provides oversight and review of financial transactions carried out by FAO’s decentralized office network
• Trains and supports administrative teams in decentralized offices on accounting and financial management to ensure data integrity
• Supports and contributes to functional effort to expand and maintain success of automatic bank reconciliation for all FAO bank accounts globally
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in accounting, finance, business administration or a related field or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with a professional qualification from a recognized professional institution (CFA, CCM, CA, CPA) may be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree.
• Five years of relevant experience in finance, accounting and/or business analysis
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Extent and relevance of experience in accounting and in managing accounting functions
• Excellent computer skills and ability to analyze problems and develop effective, practical solutions
• Extent and relevance of experience in the system development of accounting and financial applications, particularly Oracle Financials
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Working knowledge of another FAO official language
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
- Extension of fixed term appointments is based on certification of performance and availability of funds
- FAO reserves the right not to make an appointment.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm
Other benefits, subject to eligibility, include:
• Dependency allowances
• Rental subsidy
• Education grant for children
• Home leave travel
• 30 working days of annual leave per year
• Pension fund entitlements under the UN Joint Staff Pension Fund
• International health insurance; optional life insurance
• Disability protection
FAO encourages a positive workplace culture to increase inclusivity and diversity within its workforce. FAO applies measures in which all staff members contribute equally and in full to the work and development of the Organization. This includes:
• elements of family-friendly policies
• flexible working arrangements
• standards of conduct.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications and language skills.
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile;
- Once your profile is completed, please apply and submit your application;
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided on your online profile;
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications;
- Incomplete applications will not be considered;
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered;
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT