Job Title: Zambia Mini-Grids Accountant
at ENGIE Energy Access
Organization: Fenix International
Reporting Line: Zambia Head of Finance / Zambia Head of Mini-Grids
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
About Engie Energy Access (EEA)
ENGIE Energy Access is a leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner; and develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGo solar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.14 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities.
With over 1,700 employees, operations in nine countries across Africa (Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1 million customers and more than 5 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain a leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
Within EEA, ENGIE Power Corner is providing sustainable, affordable and reliable energy services to rural populations in Zambia and several other countries in Sub-Sahara Africa through smart solar mini-grids, using a combination of key innovations: standardized, low-cost production units including PV panels and batteries, a distribution network with smart prepaid meters and payments through mobile money.
In order to accelerate its developments in Zambia, ENGIE Power Corner Zambia (EPCZ) is looking for an Accountant to reinforce the team.
The Accountant will be responsible for defining financial processes and play a key role to support business development & drive performance. He/She will also be providing the team with high-quality independent technical advice and assistance on financial and operational viability of new and existing activities within ENGIE Power Corner Zambia. He/she will work closely with the Head of Mini-grids, Head of Finance and other line departments under the Mini-grid side of the business. The Accountant will be responsible for the preparation of monthly Financials, Budget Forecasts, Business Plans and Financial models of future mini-grids in Zambia.
- Accountant will work alongside the Head of Mini-grids to build finance capability and ability to achieve targets.
- The Accountant will be responsible for maintenance of appropriate accounting records for efficient and timely reporting to the Management, Auditors and Authorities. He/she will be responsible for:
- Preparation of monthly books on SAP B1/Pastel
- Preparation and follow-up of supplier payment
- Bank reconciliations
- Manage receivables & payables, asset register, stock management.
- Tax compliance work (prepare and file the Tax returns to the Revenue Authority (ZRA) in consultation with the Tax Consultants).
- Payroll compliance work
- The Accountant will manage the preparation of annual financial statements and their audit.
- He/she will identify trends in financial performance and provide analysis and recommendations for improvement in order to progress towards targets. In this frame, he/she will be in charge of:
- Preparation of monthly reports
- Quarterly reforecast exercises
- Annual budget preparation and management
- Preparation of Business Plans and Financial Models
- The Accountant will maintain Power Corner Zambia Chart of accounts in line with the scale-up of our activity.
- He/She will implement the financial manual and update it in line with the activity.
- He/She will maintain KPI list for each stream of activity and implement habit of performance follow-up within the team.
- Maintain banking relationships and monitor accounts.
- Make sure the entity is tax compliant in order to avoid dispute with tax authorities. Manage fiscal registration when needed (certificate of incentive when relevant) follow-up of withholding tax and transfer pricing policy.
- Responsible for all topics linked to withholding tax and transfer pricing policy.
- Set-up of appropriate internal control environment in line with group practice.
- Pursue implementation of core processes and provide documentation.
- Ensure entity is correctly funded in order to enable operation to be run smoothly and on plan.
- The Accountant will communicate regularly and effectively to the Finance team in Power Corner HQ – based in France – on financial performance, internal controls, cash positions and on any issue faced.
At EEAZ, we have high expectations for our employees. Each employee plays a key role in creating an exceptional experience not only for our customers but for every person on our team. Our employees help EEAZ realize our ambitious goals while developing their own leadership skills and facilitating growth for their direct reports.
- Deliver ambitious results: As a high-performing and accountable leader, you create an enabling environment for effective action and bold decision which contribute to successful delivery of results.
- Act with integrity: As an ethical leader you are honest, respectful, objective, and transparent. You create and build upon a foundation of trust and openness.
- Inspire and mentor the team: As an inspirational leader you walk the talk. You empower and coach your team with trust and humility.
- Are accessible: as an accessible leader, you develop and maintain deep connections with stakeholders through approachability and active listening.
- Ensure diversity and inclusion: as an inclusive leader, you ensure diversity and foster a sense of belonging.
Knowledge and skills
- Understanding of rural markets, micro finance, mobile telecom and/or renewable energy industries in Africa.
- At least 3 years of work experience in an electricity utility, international multinational company or financial institution operating in Africa with complex transactions.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in proposing new ways of driving financial efficiencies.
Experience & Qualifications
- Passionate about local rural village economics
- Structured and attention to detail Passionate about local rural village economics
- Passionate about financial viability
- Very fluent in English
- Computer, Excel skills, and accounting systems (preferably SAP)
- University degree and an advanced qualification (i.e., ACCA, CIMA)
- Advanced proficiency in accounting software tools (SAP).
- Advanced quantitative analysis skills and proficiency in Excel and Power Point.
- Advanced analytical and quantitative reasoning ability
- Knowledge in economic & financial modelling is a plus.
- Ability to work independently with a high level of initiative and sense of urgency.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and collaborative nature.
- A strong attention to detail.
What we offer
- Contribution to a highly inspiring and purposeful business development activity
- Actively participate in defining and building tomorrow’s business models for energy access
- A secure position in a company combining the strengths of a start-up in terms of agility and those of a multinational in terms of financial and business support.
- Being part of a passionate and professional team based in Lusaka, Zambia
- Competitive pay
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!