Job Title: Liaison Officer
Organization: The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Duty Station: Lusaka, Zambia
Closing Date: May 14, 2021
GIZ International Services in Brussels is part of the EU Framework Contract for the implementation of the logistics, security, administrative & financial aspects of the EU Election Observation Missions (EOM), together with its partner GEOS.
In this framework, we are currently preparing an offer for the upcoming EU EOM to Zambia for the August, 12th General elections, and therefore inviting candidates fluent in English (level C1 or C2 following the EU language passport) and matching the minimum profile requirements here below to apply to the position of Liaison Officer.
If the GIZ Consortium is awarded with this contract, the deployment of the expert would be from the 19/06 to the 5/10/2021 (in case of a second round).
S/he will work under the authority of the Project Manager in country and under the guidance of the security and logistics experts, s/he will perform the following tasks:
- Share all the responsibilities of the logistics and security Experts, according to a structure decided by the Framework Contractor
- Reporting to the Security and Logistics Experts and taking guidance from them on all aspects of the role.
- In particular, undertake field visits to all observers base stations in order to assess the logistics in place for the observers and to ensure that observers accommodations comply with Residential Security Measures (RSM) standard, among others.
- Assist the Logistics Expert in carrying out logistical needs of the Mission.
- Monitor closely the security/safety aspects of observers support and the security situation at district level; which may involve travel around the country;
- Brief observers operating in their areas of responsibility, help keep regular contact with them and provide adequate logistics support, all with the aim of allowing observers to concentrate on their primary role.
- Keep the Logistics and Security Experts fully briefed on all the work done, daily, especially noting any possibility of issues building up which might entail evacuation in case of emergencies such as changing risks in any areas.
- Assist the Security Expert to coordinate with other international security/safety staff in the provinces.
- Coordinate with national authorities under the guidance of the Security Expert.
- Help the Security Expert establish contingency plans to respond to a crisis or medical evacuation.
- Help organizing and coordinating training for all Mission’s drivers.
- Help with driving training/instruction for drivers both in the capital city and as required in the regions.
- Supervise the installation and de-installation of vehicle tracking systems at both provincial and central levels.
- React upon any situation requiring a field trip to any region to support observers in liaison with the Core Team.
- If and when required act as logistics assistant during field trips and upon request of both Logistics and Security Experts and/or the Core Team.
- Assist the Logistics Expert if and when required at regional level during field trips.
- The field Liaison Officer will comply with the management and policy decisions to be enforced at the field level in the best capacity and with discretion.
Qualifications and skills:
- Adequate formal training in a related field and relevant professional experience in security, first aid, liaison, logistics and/or operations.
- Courtesy, open-mindedness, tact and good interpersonal skills in working in a multinational and multi-cultural environment will be important;
General professional experience:
- At least 5 years’ experience in the field of security of international, preferably large scale operations, in a multi-cultural environment.
Specific professional experience:
- Security work experience with EU Institutions, the UN or other international organisations that apply detailed Security Risk Management procedures and the principle of the duty of care;
- Participation at co-ordination or management level in the planning and implementation of large international missions with EU institutions or an International Organisation;
- Experience working with teams of civilian staff;
- Work experience in an election observation mission of the EU or other organisations, would be an asset;
- Experience in conducting threat assessment and risk analysis;
- Experience in drafting and disseminating security information;
- Experience in handling and reporting security incidents;
- First-aid training;
- Previous experience working as security officer for international organisations and/or international missions;
- Work experience in Zambia would be a strong asset.
Please understand that we can accept and process applications in principle only, via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some providers classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disabilities, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Please send us an updated CV in EuropeAid format in English.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.