Job Title: Project Assistant
Organization: International labour Organization (ILO)
Vacancy no.: ANKARA/DC/GS/2021/04
Application deadline (midnight local time): 31 May 2021
Job ID: 1101
Organization Unit: CO-ANKARA
Location: Ankara, Turkey
Contract type: FT
Contract duration: 1 year with possibility of further extension
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria. The ILO may only offer a contract to persons who have a valid residency status and work permit in Turkey.
Development cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given at the first step of the grade. Extensions of development cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates:
- In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to ILO Staff Regulations and other relevant internal rules. Any offer of employment with the ILO is conditional upon certification by the ILO Medical Adviser that the person concerned is medically fit to perform the specific inherent requirements of the position offered. In order to confirm an offer from the ILO the successful candidate will be required to undergo a medical examination.
- Any extension of development cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
To consult the vacancy notices and apply, please see the following links:
- Currently serving staff (WLT, FT, ST, SST) should access the ILO Jobs module of ILO People (FAQs)
- External candidates (including consultants, interns, daily contacts holders and staff at ITC-ILO in Turin) should access the ILO Jobs external site (FAQs)
The position will be funded under the development cooperation project “Promoting Decent Work for Syrian Refugees in Host Communities”. The project is funded by the KfW Development Bank and links to CPO TUR 159 (Policies and programmes implemented by constituents aimed at protecting migrant workers’ rights and promoting decent employment for the Syrian refugees and migrant workers – Outcome 7).
The project aims to facilitate the early entry of Syrian refugees and Turkish citizens from host communities into the labour market and to help them develop, strengthen and upgrade their skills and competences as required. The overall objective of the proposed project is to enhance formal employment for Syrian refugees under temporary protection (SuTP) and Turkish citizens and to create formal sector jobs. This objective will be achieved through three outputs as explained below:
The project builds on ILO interventions on the Syrian refugee crisis in Turkey since 2014, promoting comprehensive short- and medium-term employment-rich measures to be implemented within the framework of Turkey’s overall response and the Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP).
The project is implemented by the ILO in close cooperation with the Ministry of Family, Labour and Social Services (MoFLSS), the national authorities and the social partners in 10 provinces, namely Ankara, Şanlıurfa, Hatay, Gaziantep, Adana, Mersin, İstanbul, İzmir, Bursa and Konya.
The Project Assistant will closely work with the Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) and undertake the below mentioned duties.
The Project Assistant will report to the CTA under the overall supervision of the Director of the ILO Office for Turkey.
Description of Duties
- Work closely with the CTA and provide assistance for the timely delivery of the project results and outputs and carry out specific operational tasks for project and programme activities.
- Provide informal translation/interpretation support (from English to Turkish and from Turkish to English). Provide linguistic support to the CTA and other visiting technical specialists.
- Provide assistance to the CTA and project team members for organization of their meetings and project activities.
- Organise project team members’ schedule, help organization of their meetings, preparation of meeting agenda and meeting minutes.
- Organise meetings and seminars including preparing budgets, coordinating travels and lodging of participants.
- Assist in drafting terms of references of external collaborator contracts and follow up the external collaboration contracts in terms of timely delivery of outputs, advance, progress and final payments, and amendments if necessary. Prepare acceptance of services for review of relevant project officers.
- Contribute to the preparation of technical reports and documents and maintain administrative records.
- Prepare and follow up travel authorizations, security clearances and travel arrangements.
- Prepare background material, working papers and tables for briefing and review.
- Draft correspondence, reports, summaries and justifications as required on the project activities.
- Assist in the logistical and content-wise organisation of project events, trainings and meetings.
- Obtain and keep contact details of project stakeholders, wider audience; prepare invitation letters/cards, send invitations for project activities and trainings; follow up invitations.
- Perform necessary tasks under the ILO’s internal integrated resource utilization system and software (IRIS).
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the CTA and the Director of the ILO Office for Turkey.
Completion of secondary school school.
- At least 6 years of progressively responsible clerical or administrative work, of which at least two years in programme support activities.
- Experience in providing interpretation/translation services.
- Experience in working with vulnerable groups and/or refugees will be an asset.
- Excellent command of English and Turkish.
- Ability to use word processing and spreadsheet software effectively.
- Ability to organize workshops and meetings.
- Good skills for preparation of documents and administrative forms, and for creation and maintenance of filing systems.
- Good knowledge of administrative procedures and clerical practices.
- Ability to use computer program and software packages for various administrative actions.
- Ability to communicate in an appropriate and clear manner.
- Demonstrated responsible behaviour and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and gender-sensitive attitude.
- Good drafting skills and ability to organize own work.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for a written test and/or an interview.
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video, Zoom, Teams and teleconference, etc for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including interviews.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account – @ilo.org – should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.