Job Title: Market Dynamics Officer
Employment Type: Full Time
Duty Station: Lusaka, Zambia
PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
PATH’s Market Dynamics program is currently recruiting for an officer that is keen to work on PATH’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Specifically, the officer will support the Medical Device Portfolio within the Market Dynamics Program in growing its work increasing safe access to oxygen therapy. The portfolio is launching a new project as part of the global response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The project will expand on previous PATH work in respiratory care with the aim to increase access to oxygen and equipment in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). The officer to be hired will work within PATH’s Technology, Analytics, and Market Introduction Division at PATH. S/he will work with Market Dynamics team members to define problems, conduct analyses, and apply findings to address market failures that restrict access to life-saving products and interventions.
The Market Dynamics Officer will serve as the technical lead for the organization’s market dynamics contributions to ensuring oxygen and other equipment as countries prepare to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Market Dynamics Officer will be a key contributor to our program’s work on increasing access to key medical devices and will work closely with a strong team of internal and external collaborators.
The Market Dynamics team uses data to co-generate policies that increase the availability of health products and services. A strong candidate will have a robust understanding of health systems, public policy, economics, and be able to collect, analyze and understand data. This project will involve close collaboration with high level government stakeholders, donors, development banks, firms, and multilateral health organizations such as the WHO. The work is extremely fast paced and requires a dedicated individual with a can-do attitude.
- Support primary market research and market landscape projects for other global health products (respiratory care equipment and oxygen) to understand the public and private market dynamics for these products in low- and middle- income countries.
- Develop and implement market intervention strategies for target markets in global health to inform decisions of governments, donors, and other stakeholders.
- Develop an asset management system alongside government to track new equipment procured for the COVID-19 pandemic. Link this system to an ordering system.
- Manage data collection as needed to inform policy decisions for the COVID-19 response. Data will be collected from health facilities and administrative sources. Clean data and produce visualizations, summary statistics, and reports.
- Engage suppliers of medical equipment, negotiate contracts, and understand constraints industry is facing.
- Engage donors and financiers including development banks to develop plans that alleviate constraints of suppliers.
- Develop and maintain a strong network of experts in PATH and externally.
- Master’s Degree in Public Policy, Economics, Public Health, or equivalent advanced degree
- Minimum five years in market analysis, healthcare management consulting or other relevant private and public sector experience.
- Experience engaging with both public and private sector partners preferred.
- Knowledge of health systems, medical devices, and/or diagnostics, especially in developing countries or emerging markets a plus.
- Direct experience working in low- or middle-income countries a plus.
- Experience working with health systems as an implementer, researcher, policy professional or business person.
- Experience with medical devices is a plus.
- Solid technical knowledge of market analytics including:
- Building, implementing and analyzing market research studies and quantitative models to inform global or developing country decision-making, e.g., demand forecasts and impact models.
- Analysis of product development and introduction scenarios to chart pathways for new product introduction.
- Ability to identify key trends from complex and ambiguous datasets.
- Ability to synthesize project findings and translate into programmatic and policy recommendations.
- Ability to use statistical software such as R or Stata.
- Strong understanding of the WHO and country-led procurement of health products
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain close and effective relationships with partnering organizations at local, national, and international levels.
- Demonstrated experience in project planning/management and balancing multiple projects and priorities.
- Proven effectiveness working in a team-based environment, but capable also of working independently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and thrive in fast-paced, high-pressure situations.
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally up to approximately 20% of the time.
- Intermediate French proficiency preferred.
Must have legal authorization to work in Zambia.
PATH is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is valued.
PATH is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. PATH does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
To apply for this job please visit path.silkroad.com.