Job Title: Gender Officer – Monitoring & Evaluation
Organization: UN Women
Location : Khartoum- Office base: Ministry of Labour and Social Development
Application Deadline : 23-May-21 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Post Level : SB-4
Languages Required : Arabic, English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-Jul-2021
Duration of Initial Contract : One Year
Expected Duration of Assignment : One Year with possibility of renewal
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Sudan in its three years of transitional period and in line with the strong commitment of the Transitional Government as stipulated in the constitutional document August 2019 to promote gender equality and women empowerment, would need to ensure necessary capacity of state institutions to deliver specific functions and responsibilities and ensure gendered delivery of results/outcomes across the socio-economic, civil and political frameworks and the sectors. Such capacity would include a strong, functioning and resourced gender machinery and sectors equipped with specialized gender experts who can identify gender needs of different sectors and support the dialogue with the Gender Machinery to address them. A gender architecture with such chemistry is necessary so that the state delivers on its specific tasks related to gender and ensure gendered delivery of results/outcome across the rest of state functions and tasks.
With the financial support of SIDA, UN Women is working with the Ministry of Labor and Social Development to strengthen the institutional mechanism of the Ministry to support gender mainstreaming in sectors’ intervention and to equip the office of the Prime Minister and targeted sector Ministries with gender advisors. The overall objective of the project is to equip Sudan with an effectual Gender Machinery to contribute to strengthen the capacity of federal and state institutions to deliver specific functions and responsibilities that accounts for gender equality and empowerment of women.
The Gender Officer – Monitoring and Evaluation will be based in the Ministry of Labor and Social Development, working under the overall supervision of the Under-Secretaary of the Ministy of Labour and Social Development, and the direct supervision of the Gender Advisor at the MoLSD and in close collaboration with the the Gender Officer – planning and Budgeting. The M&E Gender Officer maintains a secondary administrative reporting line to UN Women.
Duties and Responsibilities
GAWFU- MoLSD’s Monitoring and Evaluation System Development:
- Review and support the development of gender sensitive monitoring and evaluation procedures and system for improving the GAWFU- MoLSD’s performance and delivery of services at Federal and States level;
- Work to build a body of baseline studies on gender equality and human rights of women Provide expert guidance to diffenrt departments across the MOLSD on monitoring and tracking results against the departments’ programmes;
- Identify the needed capacities and mechanisms for ensuring effective gender sensitive oversight and monitoring of MoLSD – led policies and programs;
- Identify and use relevant monitoring and evaluation checklists for following-up and assessing the progress made in the implementation of the country’s commitment to the national, regional and international plan of actions and protocols;
- Establish a database relating to the results indicators and ensure availability of gender disaggregated data to feed and support in policy making, program development and reporting requirements;
- Provide technical support for institutionalizing the use of M&E tools and Plans to enable GAWFU- MoLSD staff and partners to effectively guide the department’s functions and services;
- Ensure adequate support is provided to the MoLSD’s Gender/ Women units at the State level to support M&E mechanisms;
- Ensure appropriate M&E mechanisms are put in place between gender units at the Federal and States levels;
- Monitor, assess, analyze and produce reports about key results and achievements across the departments
Development and Implementation of M&E:
- Develop gender sensitive monitoring frameworks, indicators and plan for the department’s policy implementation, functions, impacted and sustained projects and activities;
- Monitor all the department policy, programs, and activities using gender sensitive indicators;
- Support in developing gender sensitive monitoring and evaluation frameworks and tools or the departments projects measuring its result, impact and sustainability;
- Report monthly on the MoLSD projects and activities;
- Monitor the department Policies, plans, programs and projects and give feedback to the Undersecretary with recommendations of improvements;
- Provide technical support for the MOLSD staff in development and implementation of projects with gender sensitive M&E;
- Provide training for the MoLSD’s staff and its partners in evidence-based result and gender sensitive data collection;
- Provide gender based inputs, information and statistics for quarterly, annual and other reports to the Undersecretary of MoLSD and the Minister;
- Support monitoring and evaluation of the gender effects and impact of the project;
- Develop the overall framework, for project M&E, for example mid-term project review, impact assessment, final evaluation, develop project Performance Monitoring Plan with relevant data collection systems;
- Conduct regular monitoring visits to ensure implementation of projects as planned;
- Attend meetings and involve in the formed committees in alignment with the function and area of responsibility.
Establishing Gender disaggregated data bank of the Department:
- Undertake gender analysis for creating baseline data for purposes of designing the functions, plans and programs of the MoLSD in general and the General Department for Women and family Affairs;
- Collect baseline data on the implemented programs of the MoLSD in general and the General Department for Women and family Affairs;
- Contribute in collecting gender disaggregated data about the progress of the Program activities, outputs and outcomes and good practices;
- Collect data on the implemented programs, its achievements, results and impact;
- Assist in collecting gender based data as required and needed.
Information and Data Sharing and Dissemination
- Manage the process of collecting and sharing lessons learned on gender equality and women’s empowerment to build knowledge and capacity of partners and stakeholders; Provide substantive research and inputs in the formulation and implementation of the country resource mobilization strategy;
- Establish and maintain relations with government, partners, stakeholders and donors to achieve active collaboration, cooperation and alliances to advance MoLSD’s mandate and resource mobilization;
- . Liaise with relevant civil society organizations, networks and research centres, academic institutions and international organizations and UN agencies for exchange and sharing of Information;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Provide technical support to the ministry on Results-Based Planning, Reporting, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Oversee the design and implementation of capacity building training activities to enhance skills and knowledge in the area of result based management;
- Provide technical support to all projects in the areas of results-based planning, baseline data collection/analysis, monitoring, reporting and evaluation, in accordance with the programme’s objectives and UN Women’s RBM guidelines;
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality provision of strategic support and advise to Undersecretary of MoLSD and the Minister;
- Timely and quality delivery of the team;
- Regular interaction and establishment of joint activities and projects with other ministeries, agencies and partners;
- Quality of inputs provided in formulation and implementation of the country resource mobilization strategy;
- Quality and number of knowledge management and advocacy initiatives undertaken;
- Quality mentoring, training, coaching which affects performance of Staff;
- UN Women is seen as a reliable and trustworthy partner, providing substantial inputs to progress UN women’s mandate.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ethics and Values
- Organizational Awareness
- Work in teams
- Conflict Management
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management;
- Good knowledge of technical area; M&E and statistics;
- Good organizational skills and ability to pay close attention to detail;
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to eliminating discrimination against women;
- Good report writing and analytical skills;
- Excellent communication and partnership skills;
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in gender, statistics or other relevant social sciences studies.
- At least 3 years of professional work experience at national or international level on gender, statistics, and monitoring and evaluation;
- At least 3 years’ experience of work on results based management, gender sensitive indicators, and monitoring evaluation in the context of gender equality prgraming;
- At least two years of experience on leading monitoring and evaluation of gender equality programs;
- Experience in monitoring and evaluating programmes related to statistical capacity building required and experience-related to gender statistics is highly desirable;
- Experience as a trainer and facilitator on learning, monitoring and evaluation issues, and in developing user-friendly practical guidance and tools conducive to learning;
- Substantial experience and track record on leading monitoring projects and multi-country program implementation is an asset.