Job Title: Research Assistant
Job ID: 37260
Practice Area – Job Family: Poverty Reduction
Vacancy End Date (Midnight New York, USA): 18/05/2021
Duty Station: Istanbul, Turkey
Education & Work Experience: C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 4 year(s) experience, G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 1 year(s) experience
Languages: English, Turkish, French
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Bureau: Europe & the CIS
Contract Duration: Until 31.12.2021, with possibility of extension
Only Turkish citizens or other legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply. Qualified women and members of minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. UNDP is a non-smoking work environment. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The Istanbul International Center for Private Sector in Development (IICPSD) is the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) global organization mandated to leverage the role of the private sector in development. The IICPSD was established in Istanbul, Turkey on the basis of the Partnership Framework Agreement signed between the Government of the Republic of Turkey and the United Nations Development Program in March 2011. The center is one of the six global thematic centers of UNDP, advocating and facilitating the contribution of the private sector to human development and inclusive growth. More specifically, IICPSD’s main goals are to:
- Support the development of inclusive markets and inclusive business models that engage poor people into value chains as producers, employees, consumers and entrepreneurs, with the end goal of poverty alleviation.
- Creation of a demand driven set of tools and guidelines for engaging the private sector in development, in key markets that will be used as best practices guidelines.
- Become a hub for programmatic private sector partnership for SDG implementation across UNDP, by designing, establishing and monitoring concrete global and national public private partnerships that creates results for development.
- Establish IICPSD as a global Centre of excellence for dialogue on private sector development by convening business and supporting actors.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the IICPSD’s Deputy Director and Research Analyst, the Research Assistant will support the production of reports and knowledge management activities of IICPSD in impact investing area; toolkit and training development initiatives of the center, cooperation, technical advisory and implementation assistance offered to other UNDP units, including COs and RBx. The Research Assistant will be responsible of assisting the senior management in producing all necessary outputs and also will maintain high standards of service delivery, including adherence to deadline, quick response time, accuracy and completeness of information, sensitivity to client needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of and reporting directly to the UNDP IICPSD Deputy Director, the Research Assistant will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following key functions:
1) Provides effective support to the IICPSD programme and strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist research activities for the private sector’s role in development, particularly in impact investing.
- Assist qualitative and quantitative background analyses.
- Research, synthesize, and draft briefs, background documents and provide programmatic support particularly in areas pertaining to the role of the private sector in development particularly impact investing.
- Assists in the development of tools and guidelines for leveraging the contribution of private sector in development via impact investing through research-based evidence.
- Other research and information collection tasks related to partnership building and resource mobilization as required by IICPSD.
2) Provides administrative and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide organizational assistance to the events including; identifying and securing the venue, speakers and guests; outreach and drafting-distribution of invitations; managing event registration; and other related tasks;
- Assist preparation of the document set for event participants, i.e. press kit, logistics note, and any other document deemed necessary;
- Prepare the logistics plan for each event and ensure its proper implementation in coordination with the travel agencies, hotels and other partners;
- Provide research support in line with the subject topic of the events;
- Assist the arrangement of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations;
- Administrative support to organization of other national and international conferences, workshops, retreats;
- Preparation of informal translations.
3) Provides support to management coordination, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist in the preparation of notes, summaries for events and advisory activities
- Assist the senior management with collection and compilation of information.
- Write briefings for UNDP senior staff, in accordance with templates.
4) Provides support to the communication activities and knowledge building and sharing:
- Supporting the maintenance of the IICPSD web site based on corporate requirements, in cooperation with the UNDP HQ;
- Updating IICPSD social media accounts on a regular basis with relevant material, highlighting key events and achievements.
- Promote internal understanding and visibility of UNDP’s Private Sector work in suitable fora and opportunities for UNDP to showcase its private sector and development work.
- Assist in the development of communication materials including press releases;
- Manage the archive of briefing and ppt presentation, update them regularly and guide internal partners towards the most appropriate advice.
- Contribute to the development of promotional material and provide editorial support for the publication of special documents.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Ability to persuade others to follow
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
Collect, compile, interpret data and draw conclusions
Planning Organizing and Multitasking
Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
Managing Documents, Correspondence and Reports
Edits, formats and provides inputs to correspondence, reports, documents and/or presentations using work processing, spreadsheets and databases meeting quality standards and requiring minimal correction
Has knowledge on visibility standards and rules of UNDP
Managing social media accounts
Support the update of IICPSD social media accounts on a regular basis with relevant material, highlighting key events and achievements.
Required Skills and Experience
- High School education
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Business Administration, International Relations, Public Administration, Public Finance, Finance, Engineering or relevant fields is required.
- Advanced degree in Economics, Business Administration, International Relations, Public Administration Public Finance, or Finance is an asset.
- High school diploma with 4 years of relevant experience or Bachelors degree with at least 1 (one) years of relevant working experience in private sector or international development organizations focusing mainly on research and advocacy activities is required.
- Knowledge on private sector dynamics, economics, investment and/or finance research is a requirement.
- Experience in working in private sector and/or development organizations is an asset.
- Experience in organization of events, conferences etc. is an asset.
- Experience of working with international organizations, experience in similar settings is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Fluency in French is a strong asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) is required.
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems is required.
- Knowledge of the UN system would be an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.