Job Title: Associate Public Information Officer (Russian)
Post Number : DPI-022
Grade : P-1 / P-2
Parent Sector : Division of Public Information (DPI)
Duty Station: Paris, France
Job Family: Public Information
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 07-JUN-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the authority of the Director of the Division of Public Information (DPI) and the direct supervision of the Head of Press Unit, and with the guidance from more senior peers, the incumbent identifies and proposes information opportunities and activities, and compiles, prepares and/or edits initial drafts of information material in a working language of the Organization, aimed at the communication and awareness raising about UNESCO activities and events. He/she contributes to the planning, coordination and assessment of UNESCO campaigns and engagement events.
1. Identifying, drafting and/or editing content for the communication of UNESCO activities for the press, UNESCO partners and platforms:
- Contribute to the management of the content published on UNESCO’s platform.
- In coordination with relevant Communication Officers in the sectors, ensure streamlined messages and prepare initial drafts of content for UNESCO platforms and the press.
- Identify, compile, draft/edit quality and relevant content for target audiences (key messages, press releases, web stories, web pages, PDF documents, videos, photos) to communicate and raise awareness of audiences about UNESCO messages and activities.
- Contribute to the development of positive and fruitful media relations with the press by identifying key contacts/constituences and opportunities for partnerships to facilitate communication efforts and by maintaining working relationships with a network of journalists covering UNESCO’s activities.
- Establish and maintain working contacts with other UN agencies for UNESCO’s campaigns.
2. Contribute to the management of UNESCO Social Media accounts:
- Contribute to the management of the social media accounts in close cooperation with the Social Media Coordinator (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc).
- Support the team to track, research and analyse information aimed at developing campaigns and engagement concepts; help elaborate campaign elements with UNESCO Field Offices’ social media channels; gather information from diverse sources and help to assess news value and other potential impact, as well as to evaluate the effectiveness of information campaigns.
- Support the effective coordination and implementation of campaigns and engagement opportunities; oversee the relevant administrative processes and liaise with suppliers to develop campaign material and event programmes.
- Identify and recommend new visual content to be used in social media (graphics, images, videos).
- Make known UNESCO’s ideals and values on social media channels, engaging in dialogues and answering questions where appropriate.
3. Quality control of the Russian language information material (subject to Editorial Coordinator’s review):
- Ensure quality of the input provided in terms of length, timeliness and consistency with the Russian language to present information in an easy-to-read and understand format.
- Review and check the quality of the Field Offices’ websites for continuity, logical arrangement, completeness, relevance of material vs. target audience, clarity of expression, internal consistency with due regard to space/ length limitations.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced University degree(s) (Master’s or equivalent) in communication, journalism and/or related field of political science and international cooperation.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in professional journalism or similar experience, of which preferably 1 year acquired at international level.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent writing and editorial skills.
- Ability to rapidly analyse, synthesize, adjust and calibrate information.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work effectively in a team and to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Punctuality and good time management.
- Results oriented.
- Solid knowledge of UNESCO programmes and approved programme priorities.
- Advanced knowledge of information systems, web standards and technologies, ICTs, knowledge management, process automation, and business development.
- Excellent knowledge of Russian and of one of the two official working languages of the Secretariat (English or French).
- Good proficiency in another official UNESCO language (Arabic, Chinese, Spanish, English or French).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.