Job Title: National Professional Officer (Education)
Post Number : 6ETED0011PA
Grade : NO-C
Parent Sector : Field Office
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 31-MAY-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Only nationals of Ethiopia may apply for this position.
Duration of contract: initially 1 year, with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is assisting the Ministries of Education and other partners of Egypt, Ethiopia and Ghana in the implementation of a 3-year initiative to design, pilot test, and scale up Technology-enabled Open School Systems (TOESS). The project aims to build a technology-enabled crisis-resilient school systems that will connect school-based and home-based learning to ensure the continuity and quality of learning no matter under normal or crises situations.
An inception phase of 4 months assessed the readiness and needs of the countries in planning and building technology-enabled crisis-resilient school systems, defined the country-level expected results and project activities including indicators, baselines, and realistic targets in accordance with the budget and the country context. Activities will include building national platforms and development of online/distance learning content in the target countries to support school-based blended learning and home-based distance learning; enhancing school and household connectivity; deploying relevant applications, and provision of training on digital skills. Priorities will be given to the most vulnerable groups, including female teachers and students, children from rural areas, learners with disabilities.
The incumbent will support the implementation of the UNESCO-Huawei Funds-in-Trust Project, ensuring that activities are in line with the agreed work plan and budget. He/she will strengthen the capacities of the Ministry of Education, its agencies and regions to lead and support ICT related educational activities and projects, identify and engage with key partners, and identify replicable best practices maximizing potential for scale-up, rollout and synergies with other initiatives.
The incumbent will work under the overall authority of the Head of the UNESCO Field Office responsible for the country, under the direct supervision of the Education Programme Specialist, and in close cooperation with the Unit for Technology and AI in Education (ED/FLI/ICT) in UNESCO Headquarters. He/she will act as liaison between the HQ coordination team of the UNESCO- Huawei project and the national team, and will regularly engage with the UNESCO colleagues in charge of coordinating the UNESCO-Huawei project in the two other beneficiary countries (Ghana and Egypt), maintain regular contact with the government and non-governmental counterparts (e.g. country project team), the donor and other stakeholders. Specifically, the incumbet shall:
1. Project Management
- Ensure quality achievement of the project outputs in line with UNESCO qualitative standards and the results matrix.
- Support the periodic update and revision, of the detailed country project document, work plan and budget.
- Identify project implementation partners and providers of goods and services.
- Assist in the writing of terms of references for external vendors and in the recruitment of consultants, coordinators and interns.
- Follow–up on the implementation of the contracts, assessing the quality of services provided and requesting disbursement of funds.
- Plan, coordinate and organize network meetings, workshop and trainings to address specifics needs and capacity gaps identified in the project.
2. Monitoring and Evaluation of the Project
- Contribute to monitoring and evaluation of project activities, report on progress and suggest updates of the project log frame.
- Regularly monitor the financial status of the project and ensure that budget execution rates are in line with agreed plans.
- Regularly conduct meetings of the project steering, preparing minutes of meetings and action plans with clear responsibility and timeframe.
- Conduct periodic project reviews with government counterparts and other partners recording the results of the review meetings in minutes and action plans.
- Prepare reports on project activities for UNESCO, the donor and partners.
- Provide content on major project’s achievements and steps in project implementation for UNESCO’s public information services to increase the visibility of UNESCO.
- Foster exchanges of information, experience, identifying new strategies of action to improve delivery of services and to achieve the project requirements and objectives.
3. Technical Assistance and Partnerships
- Provide technical advice and guidance for the implementation of the project activities, including participation in the production of technical deliverables and policy studies, provision of input to various framework documents as required, and support to the implementation of training programmes.
- Maintain regular relations with national counterparts and key stakeholders (Ministries, regional and local authorities, etc.).
- Raise awareness of potential partners and solutions to boost ICT in education initiatives in the country.
- Participate in and facilitate the establishment of strategic long-term engagements with strategic partners in the country.
- Mobilize UNESCO’s entities in support of the implementation of ICT in education initiatives including UNESCO-HQ and UNESCO Institutes.
4. Communication and Visibility
- Implement the project communication and visibility plan.
- Prepare technical briefs and status updates on the project for wider dissemination, including inputs for the period project newsletter.
- Organize communication events (seminars and workshops) and liaise with local and international media.
- Act as liaison between the HQ coordination team of the project and the national team.
- Advanced university degree (Master or equivalent) in Education, Science (STEM), social sciences, or related areas.
- Minimum 4 years of work relevant professional experience in the field of education, preferably related to ICTs.
- Experience in supporting and coordinating project activities, preferably in large international organizations and with other international partner organizations.
- Strong skills in technical project management and event planning.
- Good written and oral communication and presentation skills,
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team.
- Demonstrated ability to build, develop, and maintain partnerships.
- Ability to interact with people from different disciplines, and with varying degrees of technical experience.
- Ability to manage budgets and report on implementation.
- Excellent knowledge of (oral and written) English and very good knowledge of Amharique.
- Work experience in African Countries in Education, particularly in Ethiopia and in collaboration with the Ministry of Education.
- Experience in the implementation of large-scale project with technical components.
- Experience with ICT hardware, mobile phones and web-based technologies in education, particularly designing or deploying tools appropriate to low-bandwidth or sub-standard infrastructure environments.
- Understanding of national and international development issues.
- Expert knowledge or significant interest in one or more of these areas: (i) The use of technology in education, particularly in Ethiopia; (ii) teacher training, particularly on the pedagogical use of ICT; (iii) m-learning and e-learning; (iv) educational audio-visual and multimedia materials in the classroom; and (v) research based education platforms in distance and assisted learning platforms to education.
- Basic understanding of set-up and administration of ICT services, networks and mobile services.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.