Job Title: Accountant (Financial Reporting)
Post Number : BFM 707
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : Bureau Of Financial Management (BFM)
Duty Station: Paris, France
Job Family: Finances
Type of contract : Temporary Appointment
Duration of contract : From 7 to 11 months
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 22-MAY-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and the direct supervision of the Chief of Finance and Accounting Section (FAS) within the Bureau of Financial Management, the incumbent will be responsible for coordinating the actions of the functions under his/her responsibility with a view to providing expert financial advice, producing management accounting information and reports, reviewing and improving systems and the interpretation of international accounting standards. S/he will ensure the production of IPSAS compliant annual financial statements for the functions and business areas under his/her responsibility. S/he will establish objectives and supervise an Assistant Accountant in relation to the areas under his/her responsibility. In particular, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Provision of expert guidance on accounting policies to ensure consistent application of Financial Regulations, Rules and Accounting Policies (IPSAS) for the functions and business segments assigned to him/her. S/he will be responsible for the interpretation of guidelines, the thorough review and development of IPSAS policies and procedures on an ongoing basis, provide advice on complex accounting and financial issues with the objective of providing relevant guidance and recommendations to various Sectors on subjects under his/her responsibility.
- Management of the preparation of financial statements for assigned business segments, including the consolidation of entities under such business segments. Oversee the processing of accounting entries, analysis of general ledger accounts, timely reconciliation, and analysis of accounts.
- Coordination of the financial management and analysis of the performance of accounts and funds under his/her responsibility, and draft Executive Board and General Conference documents, and prepare financial statements relating to UNESCO funds and Accounts as assigned.
- Production of monthly, quarterly and annual management reports; Highlight areas of risk and propose solutions to issues identified; Undertake regular controls, both for HQ and Field transactions contracts and commitments reviews to ensure that they are drawn and raised in accordance with the Financial Rules and Regulations of the Organization.
- Serving as project coordinator for specific IT enhancement projects. Provide relevant guidance, advice and leadership in the implementation of assigned projects.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Professionally recognized Accountancy Certification (e.g. ACCA, CA, CPA).
- A minimum of 4 years of relevant professional experience in accounting of which 2 years acquired at international level.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to coordinate and monitor own work plan and those under his/her supervision.
- Ability to provide quality and timely support and services.
- Strong analytical capability with ability to look for weaknesses in processes and to propose improvements.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to draft clearly and concisely.
- Excellent IT skills (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.); in particular knowledge of Excel.
- Ability to work in a multicultural team with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Very good knowledge of accounting functions in ERP systems such as SAP.
- Excellent knowledge (oral and written) of English.
- Experience in the production of year-end consolidated financial statements.
- Relevant experience in the United Nations system and knowledge of IPSAS.
- Experience in supervising and managing staff.
- Working knowledge of French.
- Knowledge of another official language of UNESCO (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.