Job Title: Communication Officer – Reporting, Strategic Writing and Project Monitoring
Job no: 540674
Contract type: Consultancy
Location: Congo, Dem. Rep
Categories: Communication for Development (C4D), Gender Equality, Alliances and Resource Mobilization, Private Fundraising and Partnerships, Consultancy
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Purpose of Activity/Assignment:
The Communication Officer – Reporting and Strategic Writing provide high-quality support to the Communication for Development, Resources mobilization/Reporting and Emergency Sections, in their role, of overseeing the management of these sections based in Kinshasa. The purpose of this consultancy is to support sections in the strategic documents and proposal development and reporting process through substantive fact checking, writing and editing, according to the UNICEF’s standards on quality and timely submission of documents under the supervision of the Chief of Communication for Development and in programmatic connection with the Head of Emergencies and the Resource Mobilization Manager, the Communication Officer – Reporting and Strategic writing will provide support for programme design, data analysis and reporting.
Scope of Work:
- Reporting and Proposal writing
• Work closely and coordinate with responsible officers in each section for the write up and editing of high quality proposal. result-based reports, SitReps, Factsheets, case for Investments etc
• Restructure and rewrite the areas of text as needed, including translation from French to English, to promote clarity, continuity, and internal consistency and incorporate reviewers’ comments;
• Fact-check the statements for accuracy and completion of references as/when required;
• Provide accuracy and consistency in capitalization, abbreviations/acronyms, notes, bibliography, titles, graphs, and tables as per the UNICEF style and guidebook;
• Ensure that the language used is impactful and highlights UNICEF’s results, expertise and added value.
• Ensure that potential sensitivities are flagged and ways of resolving them proposed;
• Develop and ensure consistency in overall layout, adding relevant graphs, pictures and visibility products, including human interest stories when required;
• Timely follow up on the entire reporting cycle, from drafts review to the final timely submission to the donor.
• Coordinate with CO programme colleagues, graphic designer, multimedia content producer, budget and program officers to ensure high quality, visually compelling and content rich proposals and reports.
• Contribute to the timely submission of quality donor reports, including compliance with UNICEF quality standards and coherence between financial and narrative information.
• Ensure compliance with UNICEF branding standards and guidelines.
- Knowledge Management for Programmes
Contribute to country programmes by supporting knowledge management of the C4D section through providing professional assistance in data collection and analysis, complete and accurate reporting as well as participation in the Programme Knowledge Network system of lessons learned and other corporate-level databases.
Monitors programme implementation progress and compliance. Monitor commitments and expenditures to ensure timely, accurate and appropriate management of programme funds and to ensure errors and discrepancies are detected and corrected. Takes appropriate recommendations or actions to optimize use of programme funds. Monitor donor contribution financial management and financial utilization report to donors.
Ensure follow-up on the expiry dates of PBAs and inform the programme managers so that they can take the necessary measures for the effective utilization of the funds, and in particular extension requests of the PBA expiration dates according to UNICEF regulations.
Included in Annual/Rolling Workplan:
It’s a need of the tree sections in the strategic documents and proposal development and reporting process through substantive fact checking, writing and editing, according to the UNICEF’s standards on quality and timely submission of documents.
Minimum Qualifications required:
Two-years work experience in a professional capacity in external relations, public affairs, reporting, general office administration or international development cooperation preferably within the UN or similar organization, government or NGO.
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required
• The candidate needs to write perfectly well in French and in English.
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group)
• Methodology of programme/project management
• UNICEF programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies.
• Knowledge of global human rights issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNCEF position and approaches.
• UNICEF policies and strategy to address on national and international issues, particularly relating to conflicts, natural disasters, and recovery.
• UNICEF emergency programme policies, goals, strategies and approaches.
• Gender equality and diversity awareness
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job)
• UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Deadline: 07 Jun 2021 W. Central Africa Standard Time