Job Title: Associate Communications Officer
UNV International Specialist
Host Entity: UNOCT
Duty Station: Budapest (HUN)
Language Skills: English
Start Date: Immediate
Duration: 6 months with possibility of extension
Application Deadline: 02 June 2021
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Programme Management Officer or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer Associate Communications Officer will:
- Contribute to the work plan of the Addressing Counter-Terrorism in Aviation Security Programme through specific tasks that support the implementation of the project in beneficiary Member States.
- Draft/prepare promotional materials (e.g. print, digital, broadcast, etc.), and technical communications products (e.g. diagrams, visuals) for external audiences.
- Conceptualize, edit and produce multimedia assets and other digital communication products including press releases, media packets and reports, brochures, briefings, video clips, newsletters, tweets, websites, etc. to support communications strategies.
- Prepare, on the basis of official UN documentation and other sources, initial drafts and/or sections articles and other inputs as required for inclusion in UN reports and materials.
- In consultation with internal and external partners, identify and propose information opportunities, activities and approaches, taking into account the situation/topic and target audience.
- Assist in the preparation of high-profile ACTAS engagements to advance or promote the Programme with regional or international organizations as well as Member States.
- Assist in the preparation of briefing materials, remarks, background notes, presentations, and reports regarding the Programme and its implementation.
- Identify key contacts/constituencies and opportunities for strategic partnerships to facilitate communication efforts and maintains working relationships with the same.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
- An advanced-level university degree (Master’s degree or higher) in communication, public relations, media studies, journalism, marketing, political science, international relations, international security policy or another relevant field.
Required experience: 24 Months
- Minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible professional experience in public information, journalism, international relations, administration or a related field is required.
- Knowledge of United Nations and other counter-terrorism conventions, instruments and documents, in particular the UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy and its four pillars.
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent English drafting, formulation, reporting skills.
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing.
- Excellent digital media and social media skills, knowledge of digital media tools and platforms.
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.), as well as multi-media-oriented platforms, and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including national, regional and international partners, authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development.
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel.
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines.
- Experience in supporting Counter-Terrorism or Aviation Security related initiatives is an asset.
- Experience in supporting capacity-building and/or technical assistance delivery is an asset.
- Language skills: Fluency in spoken and written English is required; Working knowledge of Arabic, Mandarin, Russian or Spanish is an advantage.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Journalism, mass media and broadcasting, Public information and reporting
Driving license: No
Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call for to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 02-06-2021