Job Title: Associate Political Affairs Officer
UNV International Specialist
Host Entity: DPPA
Duty Station: Gaborone (BWA)
Language Skills: English, French
Start Date: 01 July 2021
Duration: until 31 December 2021 with possibility of extension
Application Deadline: 07 June 2021
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Head of SALT (Senior Political Affairs Officer) and under the overall supervision of the Team Leader for GLSAT, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Contribute to the on-going analysis of political developments in the SADC region and assist in the drafting of substantive documents and reports (analytical notes, talking points, etc);
- Assist SALT in on-going liaison work with the SADC Secretariat;
- Contribute to thematic/comparative reports on regional dynamics on topics such as land rights, youth and the Women, Peace and Security agenda;
- Closely monitor news in countries covered by the Team and draft comprehensive news clippings and other media analysis reports;
- Maintain close working relations with UN Country Teams, PBF and other relevant UN partners active in the region;
- As required, undertake missions in the region to support UN delegations, UN Country Teams and DPPA projects or workshops;
- Play a proactive role in reaching out to think tanks, academia and civil society in the SADC region to enhance the quality and breadth of political analysis;
- Provide administrative and substantive support to various workshops, events, XB projects, and other activities implemented by DPPA in the region;
- Service substantive meetings as required, including note-taking;
- Provide support to RC’s offices and UNCTs in the region as well as internal United Nations coordination mechanisms;
- Undertake other relevant tasks and assignments as requested.
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
Master’s degree in International Relations, Political Science or related discipline.
Required experience: 36 Months
At least 3 years of relevant work experience in political affairs, government, diplomacy, peacebuilding, conflict resolution or international development. Prior experience in political analysis and reporting is essential, preferably in the context of Sub-Saharan Africa. Proven ability or interest to work with government officials or International, Regional or Sub-Regional organisations is an asset.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- French(Optional), Level – Working Knowledge
Area of expertise: Political affairs and political reporting
Driving license: No
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Creativity, Empowering Others, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Knowledge Sharing, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 07 June 2021