Job Title: Movement Control Assistant
UNV International Specialist
Host Entity: MINUSMA
Duty Station: Bamako (MLI)
Language Skills: English
Start Date: Immediate
Duration: until 30 June 2022
Application Deadline: 02 June 2021
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of Chief Movement Control within the delegation of authority, the UNV Movement Control Assistant will undertake the following tasks within the Movement Control Section, Bamako:
- Assist with determining the most efficient and cost–effective modes of transportation for passengers and cargo (including dangerous goods requiring special handling) within and/or outside a field mission.
- Receives customer requests through Movement of Personnel (MOP) and Cargo Movement Request (CMR) Forms, for transportation of passengers and cargo (including dangerous goods requiring special handling) within and/or outside a field mission.
- Coordinates required transportation activities with the Aviation, Transport and Riverine Units/Sections and/or commercial transportation service providers.
- Develops air cargo loads.
- Assures dangerous goods are transported in accordance with applicable international Dangerous Goods Regulations.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, and prioritizes assigned tasks.
- Coordinates the Daily Flight Schedule with the Mission Air Operations Centre to meet cargo requirements as well as non-scheduled mission flights.
- Liaises with other UN units/section, non-government and government organizations and intergovernmental agencies on immigration and custom matters.
- Assist and analysing projected passenger and cargo flows to estimate required resources.
- Process Special Flight Requests for movement of passengers and cargo that cannot be accommodated on regular scheduled flights.
- Ensure safe, efficient, and economical movement support is provided to meet operational and administrative requirements of the mission.
- Records statistical data on the movement of passengers and cargo (including dangerous goods requiring special handling) within and /or outside a field mission.
- Receives excess personal luggage and cargo (including dangerous goods requiring special handling) from customers.
- Prepares luggage and cargo for transportation (weighing, plastic wrapping, labelling etc.) in accordance with required destination.
- Assist in planning and scheduling the movement of passengers and cargo from military and police units provided by Troops/Police Contributing Countries.
- Plan and coordinate rotations, deployments, and repatriations of Military/Police
- Coordinates the transportation arrangements to the embarkation facility.
- Coordinates the provision of passenger and cargo handling services (including dangerous goods requiring special handling) in support of a field mission and monitors that all activities are carried out in accordance with the UN rules, regulations and applicable safety procedures.
- Compiles, reviews, and distributes passenger and cargo manifests.
- Briefs passenger of schedules, routes timing and safety requirements.
- Maintain the electronic databases in accordance with the established procedures and deadlines.
- Monitors that appropriate reference documents are current, readily available, and accessible to all relevant personnel.
- Prepares operational reports and related statistical data.
- Provide on the job training to the National staff members and Individual Contractors.
- Assists in developing the long-term plans and scheduling of the workload,
- Assists in developing Movement Contingency Plans (for example mission evacuation plan).
- Prepares report on suitability of use of routes, staging areas, ports airfield, road, and rail transhipment points as and when required.
- Coordinates with other UN Agencies for movement related matters.
- Performs other duties as required.
Required degree level: Secondary education
Education – Additional Comments:
Minimum of high school or relevant diploma is required. Higher education, technical or vocational certificate in movement control, multi-modal transportation, airline operations, logistics management or a related field is advantageous.
Required experience: 36 Months
At least three (3) years of progressive experience in movement control, multi-modal transportation, airline operations, logistics management or a related field. Working knowledge of English (additional knowledge of French language is desirable but not a condition
- English(Mandatory), Level – Working Knowledge
Area of expertise: Multimodal transport, travel and dispatch management and Movement Control (MOVCON), Logistics and supply management
Area of expertise details:
- Microsoft Office
- Additional knowledge of French language is desirable but not a condition)
Driving license: Yes
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply..
Application deadline: 02-06-2021