Job Title: Project Assistant
UNV International Youth
Host Entity: UN-HABITAT
Duty Station: Cairo (EGY)
Language Skills: English, French
Start Date: Immediate
Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension
Application Deadline: 06 June 2021
Candidate age: between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Land Specialist, the International UN Youth Volunteer will:
- Develop and populate an online database for the Arab Land Initiative, update and maintain the LinkedIn account of the Initiative, manage the Arab Land initiative email address.
- Coordinate with the communication teams in ROAS and LHS the preparation of essential materials for the Arab Land Initiative website, identifying relevant materials, developing press releases and web stories, liaise with partners to post content on their platforms and host their content on the Arab land initiative’s platform; overall improve the visibility of the land work of UN-Habitat;
- Coordinate the organization of events in the Arab region, support the preparation of; Knowledge exchange events, Expert Group Meetings, Twinning arrangement, Training events and others that are under the land governance programme for the Arab region;
- Provide the necessary assistance to the implementing partners; Oversee the work progress of the research on capacity needs assessment on land governance in the Middle East and Gulf countries led by the Urban Training and Studies Institute (UTI / HBRC);
- Support in the preparation of twinning arrangements with the key stakeholders involved, provide the logistical support for the organization of the events;
- Provide technical support to the land administration assessment conducted in Libya; upload and update the questionnaire, provide technical assistance to the consultant leading the assessment;
- Prepare visibility and promotional materials for the different stream of work conducted under the Arab Land initiative.
- Ensure that UN-Habitat partners are frequently updated about relevant new documents, materials, events and information on land governance and tenure security in the Arab region.
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
- Master’s degree in international development, management, architecture or engineering, environmental studies or related disciplines.
Required experience: 12 Months
- 1 year of relevant work experience, preferably with international organisations in developing countries and/or in the Arab region. Experiences related to urban development, land administration and management, partnership development, capacity building or related areas would be preferable.
- Good understanding of concepts and practices related to land administration, surveying, housing land and property rights, and urban development.
- Very good oral and written communication skills and able to tailor the communication style to the intended audience;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; able to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Good overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded;
- Affinity with or interest in promoting transformative changes in human settlements through collaborative actions and volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, multilateralism and the UN System, knowledge and capacity development and partnership building.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- French(Optional), Level – Working Knowledge
Area of expertise: Election support activities, Administration and administrative assistance, Public information and reporting
Driving license: No
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Client Orientation, Communication, Ethics and Values, Managing Performance, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Technological Awareness, Vision, Working in Teams
Eligible candidates must be between 18 and 29 years of age throughout the duration of their service.
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 06 June 2021