Job Title: Project Associate
UNV National Youth
Host Entity: UNICEF
Country: Bosnia and Hercegovina
Duty Station: Banja Luka (BIH)
Language Skills: English, Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian
Start Date: Immediate
Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension
Application Deadline: 02 June 2021
Candidate age: between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of Education Officer, the National UN Youth Volunteer will:
1. Support to programme development and planning
- Facilitate the development and establishment of results for the UN Joint project, and results-based planning through analysis of education needs and areas for intervention and submission of assessments for priority and goal setting in close collaboration with the selected government partners in education sector.
- Provide technical and administrative support to Ministries of Education and Culture and Ministry of Science and Technology, Higher Education and Information Society in Republika Srpska; Ministries of Culture and Sports in Una-Sana Canton and West Herzegovina Canton respectively.
- Throughout all stages of the project implementation processes, complying with the UN organizational processes and management systems, to support programme planning, results-based planning (RBM) and monitoring and evaluation of results.
- Document the results provided by UNICEF, UNESCO and ILO in the education sector to facilitate review and any changes that might be required to ensure achievement of set results.
2. Programme implementation, monitoring and delivery of results
- Work closely and collaboratively with colleagues and partners to collect, analyze and share information on implementation issues, specifically with Ministry of Education and Culture and Ministry of Science and Technology, Higher Education and Information Society in Republika Srpska; Ministries of Culture and Sports in Una-Sana Canton and West Herzegovina Canton respectively.
- Perform real time monitoring of the school closure impact on learning continuity for vulnerable children, with specific focus on gender-disaggregated data through collecting/identifying sex, age and disability disaggregated data, including on gendered risks, needs and barriers to services, and use it to inform the policy and programme decisions.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government partners and other counterparts and prepare minutes/reports on results for follow up action by higher management and other stakeholders.
- Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution.
3. Technical and operational support to programme implementation
- Undertake (online or physical) field visits and surveys and share information with partners and stakeholders in education sector to assess progress and provide technical support and/or refer to the UN Joint Project team for further follow-up. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, schools and UN partners on carrying out the implementation of the UN Joint project and delivery of results.
4. Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with government counterparts and stakeholders in education sector through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate programme implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve and sustain results on education programmes.
- Participate in coordination meetings related to implementation of the UN Joint Project.
5. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Provide support in identifying, documenting and sharing lessons learned for knowledge development and to build the capacity of stakeholders.
- Apply innovative approaches and promote good practices to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable programme results.
- Assist with oversight of research and ensure results are available for use in knowledge products.
- Participate as a resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of beneficiaries and other stakeholders
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
University degree in Social Sciences, Education, Law, Business Administration or similar
Required experience: 12 Months
Demonstrated interest and/or experience in education, development, humanitarian setting, work with non-government or government partners
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Bosnian(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Croatian(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Serbian(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Development programme/project administration
Area of expertise details:
- Good interpersonal, networking and communication skills;
- Willingness to contribute and work as part of a team;
- Flexible and open to learning and new experiences;
- Respect for diversity and adaptability to other cultures, environments and living conditions;
- Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded;
- Computer skills (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, social media, and others).
- Familiarity with E-Learning systems (Moodle, Google Education, others) is an advantage
Driving license: No
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of Bosnia and Herzegovina and legal residents in Bosnia and Herzegovina with the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.
Application deadline: 02-06-2021