Job Title: Project Coordination Assistant
UNV National Specialist
Host Entity: UNV
Duty Station: Beijing (CHN)
Language Skills: English, Chinese
Start Date: Immediate
Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension
Application Deadline: 21 May 2021
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
The UN volunteers will be based in the Project Management Office, located in the Beijing Volunteer Service Federation office. Under the primary supervision of the National Programme Manager ( NPM ) and secondary supervision of the Country Coordinator of UNV in China, working closely with UNV China and the PMO staff, the UN Volunteers will undertake the following tasks:
Assisting NPM with results oriented project management and implementation.
- Assist in planning of the project implementation including the development of the annual work plans, terms of references and other project management documents as needed
- Provide hands-on planning and support to the implementation of project activities
- Ensure monitoring of timeliness and quality of project implementation
- Prepare financial reports and disbursement plan within timely frawework
- Prepare various reports to summarize the key progress/suggestions for adjustment by referring to outputs and activities
- Draft quarterly and yearly progress reports to be submitted to UNV/UNDP and CICETE offices
- Report to UNV on the project implementation regularly. Support any missions or events upon requests from UNV as project site visits, promotional articles, success stories and good practices, including content sharing and photos, and establish of UN Volunteers Alumni network.
- Other related tasks assigned by NPM
Facilitating Monitoring and communication among key partners and participating volunteering involving organizations.
- Maintain regular project reporting mechanism through daily communication and monthly project meetings arrangement between PMO, CICETE, UNV, and UNDP.
- Develop and implement the M&E framework to ensure regular, mid-year and year end monitoring and evaluation by aligning with project outputs and results and make technical suggestions on adjustment
- Ensure internal communication with other departments located in BVF and within Beijing Youth League for effectively planning and implementing project activities
- Maintain regular communication between CICETE, UNV, UNDP and other key stakeholders on project financial management and respond promptly to requests for budget preparation, budget revision and project financial reporting
Facilitating the management of knowledge products and multilateral knowledge sharing and learning
- Collect, analyse and compile relevant data, information in the areas and contribut to the international and cross-country learning and sharing initiatives
- Coordinate among academia, UNV and local partners in the drafting of the Status of China volunteerism report and compile policy recommendations and conduct research on international partnerships and cooperation
- Facilitate the organization of international conference/forum to support multilateral knowledge exchanges and experience sharing
- Support the translation in both Chinese and English for key events, publication, daily communication with UNV HQ, Regional offices and Field Unit as well as other ad hoc translation work
Develop PMO advocacy strategy to promote the project results and youth engagement for overseas volunteering programme through new social media platform, websites etc
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
- Bachelor or higher degree in communications, social work, international relations, public Administration or any related field;
- Good command of English and Chinese, written and oral;
- Knowledge in managing development projects in financial, technical and administrative aspects is a great asset;
- Demonstrates ability to effective maintain relationships with different stakeholders including government agencies, academia, international and national volunteer organizations;
- Innovative forward thinking, sound coordination and organizational skills, teamwork;
- Minimum age 22 years.
Required experience: 24 Months
- At least 2 years relevant work experience, preferably at the national or international level in the formulation, implementation, and monitoring of development projects;
- Previous experience with the UN system and government agencies, including solid knowledge of UN/UNDP programme and operations policies and procedures an asset. Working experience with government partners, civil society is highly preferred;
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Chinese(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Development programme/project administration, Volunteer programmes and volunteer management, Resource mobilization, partnership and donor coordination
Area of expertise details:
- Familiar with programme management, previous experiences of international programme management would be highly preferred;
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills,
- Strong relationship building skills with internal and external counterparts;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- good computer skills.
Driving license: No
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Knowledge Sharing, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of China and legal residents with a residency permit, the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.
Application deadline: 21 May 2021