Job Title: Public Health Officer – DCD
UNV National Specialist
Host Entity: WHO
Duty Station: Cairo (EGY)
Language Skills: Arabic, English
Start Date: 01 June 2021
Duration: until 31 December 2021
Application Deadline: 31 May 2021
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of WHO Director, DCD, or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV, Public Health Officer, will:
- Assist the Director’s office in the triaging and sorting of the various technical requests to the Department as to identify the level of priority and seniority needed to handle them.
- Prepare communications from the Director’s office to the technical units as to facilitate transmission of technical requests to the team in a way that facilitates the work of the technical unit and adds value.
- Consolidate input from the technical unit to the Director’s office as to integrate into a framework consistent with DCD vision.
- Draft communication from the Directors’ office, including emails, concept notes, and slide presentations under the guidance of the director.
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Provide annual and end of assignment self-reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities.
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Required degree level: Doctoral degree
Education – Additional Comments:
- Doctoral degree in medicine, veterinary sciences or pharmacy.
- Training in public health or international health is desirable.
Required experience: 24 Months
- Prior working experience with WHO/UN or with an international non-governmental organization.
- International experience.
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Have affinity with or interest in public health, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- Arabic(Mandatory), Level – Working Knowledge
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Public information and reporting, Public health, Healthcare administration
Driving license: No
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Client Orientation, Communication, Ethics and Values, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Technological Awareness, Vision, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of Egypt and legal residents in Egypt with the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.
Application deadline: 31-05-2021