Job Title: Public Information Analyst
UNV International Specialist
Host Entity: UNOCHA
Duty Station: Mogadiscio (SOM)
Language Skills: English
Start Date: Immediate
Duration: 12 months
Application Deadline: 27 May 2021
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Head of Communications, OCHA Somalia, or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer will:
- Participate in the implementation of the corporate communications strategy, as well as the design and production of OCHA Somalia communications and publications, which are geared to influence the humanitarian agenda, promote public and media outreach and mobilize support for humanitarian operations in the country.
- Monitor the situation in the country and gather information on humanitarian, socio-economic, political, security, regional and cross-border issues and others of relevant concern. Research, analyze, and report on humanitarian developments, disaster relief/management or emergency situations in assigned area.
- Compile, analyse and process data from a wide variety of sources as input for a range of reports and humanitarian briefings – including Humanitarian Snapshots, Flash Updates, Situation Reports, Country Operational Briefs, Briefing Packs for high-level missions etc. – as requested, for internal and external use.
- Contributes to the preparation of various written reports, documents and communications, e.g., drafts sections of studies, background papers, policy guidelines, parliamentary documents, briefings, case studies, presentations, correspondence, donor reports etc.
- Support advocacy initiatives on issues impacting humanitarian needs and response efforts through the collection of information, liaison with humanitarian partners, government officials, the media, etc.
- Performs other duties as required.
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
Advanced higher degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Communications, Media, International Relations or related area; A first-level university degree or equivalent in combination with relevant training and/or professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree.
Required experience: 24 Months
At least 2 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in communications, reporting and analysis. Experiences working in the UN or other international development organization.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Journalism, mass media and broadcasting, Public information and reporting
Driving license: No
Accountability, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 27 May 2021